Mr. Bruce R. Berkowitz is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Fairholme Capital Management, and President and a Director of Fairholme Funds, Inc.
In 2010, Mr. Berkowitz was named as the 2009 Domestic-Stock Fund Manager of the Year by Morningstar as well as the Domestic-Stock Fund Manager of the Decade (2000-2009), also by Morningstar. In 2014, he was named 2013's Money Manager of the Year by Institutional Investor Magazine.
Mr. Berkowitz founded Fairholme Capital Management in 1997. Prior to founding Fairholme, Mr. Berkowitz was a Managing Director and Senior Portfolio Manager at Smith Barney, Inc. from 1995 to May 1997, and a Senior Vice President and Portfolio Manager at Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc.
Mr. Berkowitz received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1980.
Current and Past Board Positions
- The St. Joe Company, Chairman of the Board of Directors since March 2011
- Sears Holdings Corporation, Director from 2016-2017
- White Mountains Insurance Group Ltd., Independent Director from 2004-2010
- AmeriCredit Corp., Director from 2008-2009
- TAL International Group, Inc., Director from 2004-2009
- Safety Insurance Group, Inc. (formerly Safety Holdings, Inc.), Director from 2002-2004
- Olympus Re Holdings, Ltd. (Bermuda), Director and Deputy Chairman from 2001-2006
- Winthrop Realty Trust (Formerly known as First Union Real Estate Equity and Mortgage Investments), Trustee from 2000-2008